Ballet was a very big part of my childhood. I was spellbound by everything that it had to offer—from the pretty costumes, the performances, the dances…down to the steps they taught us. I gained many friends from ballet, and many memories as well!
A big chunk of my ballet years were spent dancing in Halili-Cruz School of Ballet. The school was founded by founder, multi-awarded Artistic Director, Shirley Halili-Cruz, together with the strong support of its equally outstanding Associate Artistic Directors, Grace Garalde-Perez, Anna Kathrina Halili Cruz-Bueno. Though my last dance with them was 15 years ago (Gaaaaah. Time flies!), the moments that I spent in the studio are still very vivid. I will probably remember them always!
Some pictures from the past: (click pictures to enlarge)
If you’re a young teenager who’s into dance. I strongly recommend you try ballet! Not only will it give you a load of wonderful teenage experiences, it will increase your strength as a dancer, whether you would want to focus on or try other forms of dance in the future.
If you’re a mom with a young girl, I also encourage you to enroll her to ballet! She might just thank you for it. 🙂
The Halili-Cruz School of Ballet (HCSB) has been considered as one of the best ballet schools in the Philippines. It has been awarded as the “Most Outstanding Ballet School in Asia” from 2000 to the present. The school has successfully represented the Philippines in different international festivals and competitions in Australia, Hong Kong, Japan, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Brunei, South Korea, Russia, England and the USA.
The main studio is located at 1227 Quezon Avenue, Quezon City, Philippines that houses 5 studios with a total dance floor of 550 square meters and a vast quadrangle where kids and parents can hang out. HCSB has branches at Saint Pedro Poveda College, Miriam College, Saint Mary’s College and Alabang Country Club.
To date the Halili-Cruz School of Ballet has garnered more than 300 national and international awards and prizes, among them are:
· Hall of Fame, Aliw Award as Best Classical Dance Company in the Philippines
· 8- time Ani ng Dangal Awardee for its international achievements
· People’s Choice as the Most Outstanding Performing Group
· Grand Prize Winner in the Asia Pacific Dance Competition in Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong and the Philippines
· Grand Prize Winner in the 21st Century International Dance and Arts Festival and Competition in Genting Highlands, Malaysia
· First Prize in the Dance Excellence in Los Angeles, California, USA
· Global Excellence Award in Bangkok, Thailand
· Best Performance in classical and contemporary dance in the Bauhinia Cup International Dance Competition in Hongkong
· Global Pinoy Award